Why do we visit Imam Hussain?
In every memory of Imam Hussain, the hearts take over, emotions spark and minds are lost with the love of the grandson of Prophet Muhammad.
Fourteen centuries have passed and the flame of this divine love is still burning.
Below are a few of the numerous traditions and secrets in books about the status of Karbala, the necessity to visit Hussain and the preference for his soil.
- Um Saeed al-Ahmasiyyah narrated, “I was asked by Imam al-Sadiq, ‘O Um Saeed, do you visit the grave of Hussain, peace be upon him?’ I replied yes. He then said, ‘O Um Saeed visit him, for visiting Hussain, peace be upon him, is obligatory for men and women.’” (Wasa'il al-Shia, Volume 6, Chapter 39, Page 437)
- Imam Al-Sadiq, peace be upon him, says, "In the soil of the grave of Hussain, peace be upon him, there is a cure for every disease and it is the greatest medicine." (Man la Yahtharuhu al Faqih, Volume 2, Page 599)
- Hussain ibn Uthman narrated that Imam Hussain has said, “Every day, drops of heaven drip in the Euphrates.” (Kaamil al-Ziyaraat, Chapter 13, Page 48)
- Ishaq ibn Ammar narrated that Imam al-Sadiq has said, “"Between the grave of Imam Hussain and the seventh heaven are descending and ascending angels.” (Man la Yahtharuhu al Faqih, Volume 2, Page 579)
- Abi Shihab narrated that Imam Hussain had asked the Messenger of Allah, ‘O Father, what is the reward of one who visits you?’ The Prophet replied, ‘My son, the one who visits me when I am alive or dead, or if he visits your father, your brother or you, it becomes vital that I visit them during the Day of Judgment and save them from their sins.’ (Furu' Kafi, Volume 4, Page 548)
- Dawood ibn Katheer narrated that Imam al-Sadiq has said, “Indeed Fatima, Prophet Muhammad daughter, shall be present for the pilgrims of the grave of her son Imam Hussain and shall ask for the remission of their sins." (Kaamil al Ziyaraat, Chapter 40, Page 118)
Therefore, the visit to Hussain is a medicine, forgiveness, guidance, mercy, insight, tranquility, reassurance, renewal of loyalty, and a reward in this world and the Hereafter.